Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Shopping for a Church


Friends,


Today I came across an interesting story on MSN about the new “American Mania” of shopping around for a Church. Shopping for a Church? Now I have heard of looking for a Church before but shopping? Do we shop for a new Job, or a new School? I think my Church is more personal than that. I think the article was referring to the White House statement saying the Obama Family was “still shopping for a Church in Washington”; well anyway besides the play on words here I believe a lot of Americans have been looking for a good place to worship and call home. According to this article “One in seven adult’s changes churches each year and another one in six attends a handful of churches on a rotating basis”. Wow that seems like a high number but I guess it’s possible. I know we have had a few people rotate in and out of our doors but not that many. But in today’s society we have more choices than ever about every aspect in our lives; examples are school, work, doctors and yes even Churches. Wow so many to choose from and so little time to do it. Now friends I am a firm believer in finding the perfect Church for your family no matter how long it takes.
While visiting my brother in Nashville over the past couple of years I have had the pleasure of visiting a number of Churches. Each one of them has been awesome and unique in their own way. I still don’t know which one I would choose if I lived up there but I do know I would find one who would love my family and I like their own. Kind of like my Westwood family. I know I got all mushy about Westwood in a previous post but I can’t help bragging on them. But back to the topic of Church shopping, what do look for when deciding on a Church to attend? What is it about the Church that makes you feel like a part of the family? How did you come about attending the Church you are at now? For me it was a matter of the Church finding my family. After moving here in 2000 we were visited by a group of folks from Westwood who invited us to Church a couple of times. At first we really didn’t get a warm fuzzy about Westwood but as we got to know some people we started to feel at home and really felt in our hearts it was the place to be. What’s your story?

Father God,

Thank you so much for not only giving us your Son but also giving us so many places to go and worship him as a family. Father thank you for our brothers and sisters in Christ who make our Churches more than just places of worship but homes where families can gather as one. It’s in your name that we pray. Amen
.
.
MSN Article

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is a perfect local church and every congregation I have ever visited had there own unique set of challenges, quirks or problems. For me, I have to be involved, which usually means music. I don't mind serving in other ways but as a musician the music aspect of worship is going to be important to me - I can't just sing hymns, for one they don't make sense to me musically. Other factors have been the level of intensity, I need there to be some energy involved but I have also been to churches that were just too wild with people running and around and randomly shouting.

The main thing is solid Biblical teaching, which is hard to find so we settle for where we are sent to serve…

Chris Barnette said...

Jim,

I am with you on the music, we have a great orchestra and Choir and play a wide variety of music. We also have a good balance of intensity and solid Biblical teaching. But for Heidi and I the best aspect about our Church is the way everyone feels like they are part of the family...

haithabu said...

I have found that church is what we make it. If we bring something there from our own walk with the Lord during the week, we will get something out of it. If we aren't walking that walk and come to church to get filled up, we can shop forever and still be disappointed wherever we go.

Chris Barnette said...

Yeah I agree with the give and take aspect, like I said before it's all about balance. Now for new believers I feel we need to give a little extra and help guide them on their walk. Good discussion guys.