Friday, March 27, 2009

Just some random thoughts


In the office today we had a discussion about gossiping around the “water cooler” but since we don’t have a “water cooler” we meet by the scanner and fax machine (that seems to be obsolete in today’s high tech world) and share our stories. Now when I say gossip I mean small talk and not necessarily talking about others.Where do you all gather for your daily dish of office gossip?

I read an interesting blog about Facebook today. Seems like some folks are addicted to the Social Networking page that most of us belong to. This Blog starts out telling a story about a guy checking his Facebook page during Church then the writer goes on to explain how Facebook, Gmail and other internet usage are preventing him from his daily Bible reading. Now I will admit I spend some time one these places myself but let’s be honest with ourselves here, there are a hundred other things out there that will keep you from staying in the word on a daily basis. We have TV, music, video games, sports..ect.. ect more stuff to do than time to do it in. If you are not reading your Bible or a devotional book everyday don’t blame technology, the kids, or your job. Take responsibility. Blame yourself and make the effort to put your daily time with God first. Friends I am the biggest violator of this. I spend way too much time watching TV and goofing off on the internet but I have to blame myself and not these things.

Getting back to Facebook, I love it! I think it is a great tool to keep up with friends and loved ones. How do you all feel about technology(and Facebook/myspace/twitter) and being able to stay focused on God at the same time? I feel it’s a balance that we all can achieve and who knows we as Christians can even use technology to spread the good news. Below is the link to the Facebook Blog I mentioned earlier..Peace and Blessings my friends..Chris


http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0002003.cfm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,
I love facebook and here’s the cool thing, it’s not gossip. You can keep up with what your friends all over the world are doing without having to hear it third or forth hand with all sorts of embellishments added because you hear it direct. Any reasonable person knows that if they put something out on FB they’ve told the whole world so we are not hearing the stuff people don’t want spread around. Of course, people can get addicted to anything but as you say that’s not the fault of the technology.

I am also guilty of not reading the Bible as much as I should and falling in and out of devotional routines but I am not feeling bad about it lately after reading and listening to several items that all related the same theme. Everything we do can be done for God’s glory, for example, right now I’m writing about keeping a Christian attitude to glorify God in everything we do. So, somebody might think I'm just chewing the fat with a friend, which is true, but I am also glorifying God because of my attitude and the subject we are discussing. Before this I loaded the dishwasher, just a menial task but a necessary one that done in the right state of mind brings glory to God.

God bless,
-jim

Joseph said...

Facebook is much better than Myspace for dudes our age because there are more dudes our age on it. I am finding more people I went to high school with.