Friday, October 31, 2008

You've Got Mail!




Friends I love getting forwarded e-mails about good things that happen in peoples lives but I am really bothered by the latest trend of forwarding stories that are just not true. I recently received and e-mail saying that in “1987 Oliver North testified in the Iran Contra hearings that he had a $60,000 dollar security system installed to protect his family against Osama Bin Laden, and that the senator who was questioning him was none other than Al Gore”. People this story was totally false and an outright lie. But the problem for me is that we continue to forward this kind propaganda to everyone we know thinking we are doing a good thing and helping our cause. But the fact is we are spreading lies and mistruths. We assume its ok because we feel we are on the right side, but my friends a lie is a lie and can never be justified. One of the biggest things that bother me about our presidential campaign is that both sides are not being honest and exaggerating the truth. And the sad fact is if they are lying to us now they will continue to lie to us when they take office.

Another pet peeve of mine are these e-mails that I keep getting telling how a bad thing happened to the person who didn’t forward it or broke the chain. Or how you will be blessed if you forward it to ten people in the next ten minutes. Friends these e-mails are really superstitions and tools of the Enemy that should be deleted as soon as you get them. Remember God is in control and only he knows his plans for you. Blessings come from our Father not e-mails! Do you want him to watch over and protect you and your family? We all do, so why not just pray for that? Do you want to be blessed? Well get on your knees and ask God for a blessing and make sure to thank him when you receive it. Friends I have been very blessed in my life and not one of these blessing has come from e-mails or the internet.

Friends the internet has become a great tool for us believers to spread the “Good News” and fellowship with others but we must take responsibility for what we say and what we forward to other people. I believe when forward an e-mail you are just as responsible for the content as the person who created it. If you’re not sure about the accuracy of the facts, do like my wife Heidi did and put a disclaimer at the beginning stating you’re not sure it’s true and to research it for yourself. Or just delete it. I hope I haven’t stepped on anybodies toes out there but I am sure you have received some of these e-mails yourself.

Take care yall….

Chris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen.

Chris,
Well said. I do forward a few emails but I always do the fact checking first; many get deleted for different reasons. If a person is attacked and the information is false we are guilty of slander, even if the information is true we don't show Christian love by gossiping.

I wonder if we could find a way to spread the Gospel in a way that people would want to pass on? Or, is society just so perverse that they would be ashamed to pass on the good news?

God bless,
-jim
http://ke4juh.wordpress.com

Chris Barnette said...

Thanks Jim,

You are right on target about the slander and spreading gossip. As Christians we have to be very careful when it comes to this. A lot of non-believers like to view us as Hypocrites
and try to find anything they can to prove their point. Another thing we can do is ask ourselves does forwarding this e-mail show our “Christian Love”? Another good point!

As far as spreading the Gospel, I feel we are doing a great job with our blogs and to use a phrase Tony and I share, I look forward to “taking it to the next level”. I think another way to spread the “Good News” is talk about issues that we struggle with and how we turn to our Father to help us through them. I agree, society is very perverse and it seems like it is getting worse everyday. As far as being ashamed to pass it on, I don’t believe we are but the e-mails that get me upset are the ones who say “if you’re not ashamed you will pass this on”. If it’s something I agree with and I feel will be a blessing to someone I will pass it along, but I don’t like someone questioning me for not doing so. Like I tell Tony, I am so excited about how we as “Christian Brothers” have started blogging and sharing the good news and lifting each other up. You guys are truly a blessing. Thanks again.

Peace and Blessings,

Chris