Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The World hates the Disciples

The World Hates the Disciples John 15:18-25

18"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.'[b] If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me. 22If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now, however, they have no excuse for their sin. 23He who hates me hates my Father as well. 24If I had not done among them what no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: 'They hated me without reason.”

Friends,

I came across this scripture a couple of weeks ago while reading the book of John. This particular verse really hit home with me because of a situation going on in my personal life. Earlier this year my wife and I were going through some rough times in our marriage and were on the verge of Divorce. But through the grace and mercy of our Lord and Savior we have managed to put our marriage and family back together and start living for the lord. A lot of our Christian friends and family were very excited for us and gave all the glory to our Heavenly Father. But the heartbreaking thing was the reaction of some of my wife’s co-workers and friends. After finding out she was giving our marriage another chance they turned their backs on her and were even down right hateful to her. One even called her an “idiot”

This really upset Heidi and it also bothered me as well. This was one of those times where we really had to dig deep into the Word and pray for understanding. That’s when I realized that these people were obviously not Christians and that they needed our prayers also. I was reading in the book of John (15: 18-25) and these verses revealed everything! These people were living in the “World”; verse 19 says “If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you” That explained everything. Before they thought she was one of them, a fellow slave to the World and the Flesh. But when she took a stand and showed the example that Christ had taught her and put in her heart they realized she was not one of them. She was one of the chosen ones. One who believed in Love, Mercy and Grace and most of all forgiveness.

This attitude really bothers unbelievers. They don’t understand how you can still love and forgive people after they have hurt you. They just don’t get the core values of our faith. The sad fact is few of them ever will. But the best thing we can do is show them the example of Christ, and keep praying for them. People are getting saved at all stages of their life. It took nearly 40 years to finally get me going in the right direction with my walk. So don’t give up on them. Take care my Friends..Thank you for all your love and support..Love your Brother in Jesus…Chris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great insight my brother. It's a bummer that Heidi's coworker are treaing her this way. I think you are right we have to show love not judgment to those who offend us. Easier said than done right. Thankfully, all things are possible through Christ who strengthens us. I love you bro. Peace

Anonymous said...

Chris,
Keep the faith, remember God has providence and may be using the scoffers to show how different those in Christ are. Somebody witnessing the ridicule that Heidi is enduring might see how cruel the world is and therefore see how good Christ is. So the cruelty of the world glorifies God, which in turn could be the turning point for a new believer. And thanks to your willingness to blog about this others now have the opportunity to witness God’s glory.
-jim