Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Farewell Spook

Hello friends,


The other day my old boss and good friend Kenny came to see me. He dropped by the office to take care of some paperwork and see everyone. He then ask if he could get on my computer and while he was checking his e-mail he noticed that I had been listening to a sermon by Mark Driscoll on marriage and the book “ Song of Songs”. He then turned to me and said “I never thought you would be listening to something like this”. I told him “yeah I have turned my life around and basically gave my life to Jesus”.

Kenny has worked with me for the last couple of years and when you share an office you also share some of your personal life. Well needless to say, Kenny knew me as a different person back then. He always was a good friend and confidant. I can still here him telling me last year that I was going down the wrong path and how he worried about me. He predicted most of the things that happened during that time. He said “Chris, trust me I have been there, I know what you’re going through and I know what you’re feeling”. At the time I just smiled and gave him the ole head nod. But a couple months later I realized how right he was.

So fast forward six months and here we are. I told Kenny how Jesus has saved my life from self-destruction and how he has given me peace and happiness. Friends no man or woman can give you that. You have to give your life to our Lord and Savior; he is the only one who can fill that need. Please stop running around trying to find that in another person. You will be like a dog chasing his tale. Yes we ALL fall in that trap at one time or another. Anyway back to my good friend Kenny. He then proceeded to tell me about his Brother Spook (not sure where the nick-name came from). Spook was not his real brother but according to Kenny he was closer than one. He had told me how Spook was in a similar situation. He was married, had children and was caught up in an affair. He didn’t go into a lot of details but friends trust me all the stories are the same, just the names and locations change. Kenny said Spook had called him to talk about his situation and after awhile Kenny told him “Spook, this is going to kill you” Spook then replied “It already has”. I didn’t get to hear the rest of the conversation but Kenny told me that his friend, his Brother from another Mother “bit the bullet”. Shocked I said “what do you mean?” Well apparently the next day Spook killed himself. He left behind a wife, child, Mother, Father and his best friend Kenny.

Friends this is serious business and unfortunately very common. I have been talking about this as a way to try to help others who are going through the same thing. I am not trying to clear my conscious; I have been forgiven by my wife, my Lord and Savior and my friends and family. And that’s all that matters. But for you out there who are going through the same thing, male or female I encourage you to give your life to Jesus and turn away from your sins. He will restore your life, your marriage, your hope, your peace, your happiness and your sanity. He will help you get back what you think you lost! So stop trying to fix it yourselves, get off the relationship merry-go-round. Stop looking for other people to give you what only a relationship with Jesus can do. Stay married to your best friend, if your spouse is not your best friend WORK ON BECOMING BEST FRIENDS! There are so many good books out there and good teachers on the Internet to help. If you’re insurance pays for counseling USE IT! A co-worker of Heidi’s said her husbands company had a meeting where they just randomly said they cover marriage counseling. Friends that’s what I call Devine intervention! That is the Holy Spirit giving you a nudge. Trust me it’s no accident.

Let me close by saying I love you all. You are my Brothers and Sisters in Christ. Stay strong! Use the acronym P.U.S.H Pray Until Something Happens. God bless you friends.

No comments: