Monday, December 29, 2008

Ready to Serve!

Friends,

Every unit it the Army has a unit saying or catch phrase used to identify that unit or group. Our Moto happens to be “Ready to Serve”. I think we got that name because we serve and support the Soldiers who are on the battlefield. As Christians we are also taught to serve one another. I think Jesus gave us the best example of that. In the past I have always wanted to Serve and do something for others but must most of the time I would wait to the last minute and then not do it at all. Procrastination is definitely one of my biggest weaknesses. But this past month I have really been blessed to be able to help others and Serve my community. In November I was given the opportunity to volunteer for a swim meet for special needs children and this past week I had the privilege to participate in our local Christmas parade and play the role of a Sheppard in our Church Christmas program. The cool thing was that I had been feeling down about not being able to participate in these activities. You see the procrastination monkey had jumped on my back and I didn’t even sign up to be a part in these events. But that’s when I received my blessing. Within a couple of days the guys who were organizing these activities called on me for a favor. And I have to say it was them who did me a favor and gave me a chance to help serve others. Thanks guys. So my question is, are you ready to serve? Will you be ready when you get the call? I hope I will. My goal for 2009 is to be more proactive and seek opportunities to serve other instead of waiting for the opportunities to come to me.
Take care friends…Chris

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,
If we determine how we will serve are we serving God or our own will? Or, is our part preparation and willingness to serve; then to wait and listen for the call? A few lines of Scripture come to mind…

Romans 3:11 (ESV) “…no one seeks for God.”

Isaiah 6:8 (ESV) And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."

Mark 9:35 (ESV)
And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, "If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all."

Anonymous said...

Great post bro. I think we have to be active in serving the Kingdom. I struggle sometimes thinking about should I do this or that and end up doing nothing. It reminds me of the parable of the talents. Everyone got praised except for the one who took what the Lord had given him and did nothing with it.

I hope I am always ready to serve.

Peace bro.

Tony

Anonymous said...

Tony makes a good point, I was talking about the why of motivation but it's probably better to do something good with the wrong motivation than to do nothing at all.

Chris Barnette said...

Jim,

I think when we don't serve we are actually serving own will. The point for me is, I want to serve and get excited about doing so but when it comes time to plan something and do it I get lazy and put it off. Then I have regrets about not doing it and say the famous words "I was gonna". I think "I was gonna" died and didn't make it to heaven :-)