Wednesday, December 10, 2008

" I do not even judge myself "



Friends while watching TV today I came across a preacher who was teaching from 1 Corinthians 4:3-5 ESV

3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. 4 For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. 5 Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.

Friends how many times have we let guilt and condemnation keep us from feeling worthy of Gods grace and love? How many times have we judged ourselves and let the guilt keep us from our relationship with our Father. I have on many occasions. It seems like when I am really on fire for Jesus and want to do all these things I start feeling guilty and unworthy of Gods grace and mercy. I know this is not the case and that Gods grace is new everyday but sometimes I can’t shake the feeling of being unworthy. Talking to my Brother Tony helps out a lot. He often has to remind me of Romans 8:1 “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” Reading this does give me a lot of comfort but I would love to be able to put up a firewall or minefield and keep these thoughts out. How do you all deal with these feelings? I think from now on when I start feeling this way I will get even deeper in the word and reach out even more to my Brother and Sisters in Christ for guidance. How do you guys feel about this? Take care…Chris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,
Good post, this is something that the enemy tries to use against us but we must be strong. Alistair Begg does a great job addressing this in his study on 1 Peter (Standing Firm in Shaky Times https://store.truthforlife.org/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=1450). He starts by asking the question; who was Peter? Is he not the apostle who denied Jesus three times before the rooster crowed? And yet he starts his letter “Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ...” After hanging out with Jesus for 3 years, when push came to shove he denied he even knew him and yet he is still forgiven and holds the title apostle. “…nothing can ever separate us from God’s love.” This includes our iniquity which is washed away by the risen Christ.

Romans 8:35-40 (New Living Translation)

35 Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? 36 (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.”) 37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God bless,
-jim

Anonymous said...

Good post my brother! I struggle with this a lot. I definetly think the enemy uses guilt to push us away from God. I think you definitely outlined two key parts to fighting back. Seeking the Lord first and relating to each other in community. We need to encourage one another in the Lord. I know I always feel better when I am struggling with something and you take the time to help me process through it. Thanks man!

Tony