Monday, September 15, 2008

My first Blog!

Wow,

Never thought I would start blogging or keeping some kind of journal but here it goes. I always thought of this as keeping a diary but I guess diaries are private and blogs are to be shared. As the title of my blog says I am a Soldier, I have been a Soldier for our Country for the last 22 years and hopefully will be able to serve for a couple more before I have to retire. When I first join the Army back in 1984 the enemy we were fighting was the Russians. I spent almost 8 years in Germany waiting for the Russians to come across the Fulda Gap. Thank God that never happened. Then after the Berlin Wall came down our focused shifted to the Middle east and the first Gulf War. After successfully driving Saddam out of Kuwait our mission turned to being peacekeepers in Bosina. My only regret there was that we didn't go in sooner. And that brings us to the present. I am sure everyone knows what going on now with the War on Terror so I will spare you the details, just know we are keeping the fight over there and off American soil.

Anyway after being a Soldier for so long I have come up against the biggest enemy yet and that of course is " The Enemy", " The Lair" ," The Destroyer" and all the other names associated with the Devil. He is our real enemy and root of most of our problems today. Looking back I guess I have been falling for his schemes for years. But I guess he finally got me two years ago when I was really involved in our Church. The year started off great, I made my decision to be baptised on New Years Day, then from there Heidi and I were singing in the Choir and teaching Vacation Bible School(that was a blast!) Then in October our world started falling apart. I was hospitalized for chest pains and spent our anniversary in a hospital bed. That's when the enemy started talking to me. He was filling my mind with all kinds of crazy ideals and lies. At the time I thought nobody cared for me, it was our anniversary and I was the only one who knew it. After I got released I started thinking about my life and started listening to those voices we all hear sometimes telling us how bad we have it or how we could be so much happier somewhere else. Then it happened. Temptation was finally presented and I took the bait. I thought I had all the answers and thought that somehow I could justify what I was doing. I thought and told everyone else that I was the "victim" when in fact I was the "idiot". I was willing to give up my Family, friends and everything I have worked so hard for just to try to satisfy the flesh. I didn't care about the consequences, I didn't care what people thought..Nothing..I had no shame..I was a big bad Soldier who thought he was owed something. Well to make a long story short I was given what I thought I wanted, what I thought would make me happy, what I thought life was all about. Then suddenly one day my eyes where opened and the shock and reality of the life I was living started sinking in. I realized how wrong I was.

Friends this is one of the biggest problems we face today. So many family's are being destroyed by divorce today and especially in the Church. Some studies have shown that Divorce in Christan family's are higher than in non Christian. I thank God for giving me a loving and forgiving Christian wife who never gave up on me and prayed for me daily. She really is a Blessing in my life.

Well yall to give this story a happy ending, after two years we have worked things out and are rebuilding our lives. We may have lost a lot financially but I feel we are stronger than ever and I feel closer to Jesus. We have found a great Christan Counselor and have started making our marriage a priority. That is why I am a Soldier for Christ. I hope and pray that one day I can help someone who is going through the same thing. On another positive note a lady in our Sunday School class announced that her and her former husband are getting back together and giving their marriage another chance (God is Good) Friends I am an open book and will be glad to share my testimony with anyone who will listen. It's never too late to turn your situation around. Pray about it, talk to a professional, your Pastor, a friend. Read what the Bible says, Proverbs, Song of Songs and1 Peter 3:1-7. There are also a lot of great books out there. We need to stand up and fight for our families, they are our greatest Natural Resource. I love you guys...Peace!!


P.S This is my first real Blog so take it easy on me :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great first post my brother. I am encouraged reading how God has worked reconciliation in you and in your marriage. You inspire me man! I love you!

Jennifer B said...

I am so proud of you Chris. Heidi never gave up you nor did you give up on yourself or your love for her. I think blogging your thoughts are awesome. I am sure your testimony will lead to many savings of a marriage.

ninamerle said...

Dear Chris,
I am glad that you have found your faith again. The night you were in Maryland and we went to dinner was really bad for me, Here is my brother whom I have not seen for a year or so and my daughter at a Resteraunt and I could see you were slipping up making a mistake. I mentioned somethings in my marriage, I thought that may have awakened the (idiot) devil in you. But I guess it has taken you this long to realize the errors of your ways and seek forgiveness.
I was very hurt that you would lose your footing, and often have wondered if you have put yourself in someone else's shoes. I am asking that the next time temptation steps into your life that you stop and look at what you have, the blessings, the love of your family, fairly good health, HEALTHY kids, and loving wife, and say to yourself. I HAVE ALL I NEED HERE. I love you big brother, and I am glad that you are seeking a higher power to get you and your family through these rough times. Love nina

Chris Barnette said...

Thanks Nina,

I am sorry for hurting and disappointing you. I wrote this blog to try to help people going similar situations and to let them know that through Christ they can be forgiven and have their lives restored. As you well know this is a big problem in our society and unfortunately our culture promotes this kind of behavior. Just turn on the T.V and it is plastered all over the place. Of course it is no excuse but we have to realize what’s behind it and make a stand. The family is under attack! I am so proud of you for being able to keep your family together. I know it’s been hard .Hopefully one day you can share your testimony and help others who are going through the same thing. I think this is a great forum for that. I know Heidi has a good testimony also. Jesus has done a great work in our lives. He is the “higher power!” I love you Sis….I am here for you if you ever need me. That goes for Heidi also :-) God Bless