Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Just walk it off!


Friends,

Have you ever heard the old expression “Just walk it off”? Of course that is an expression used when we are injured and are encouraged to walk or move the injured area to ease the pain and get back into the activity we were doing. Peyton Manning has been quoted as saying “just rub some dirt on it”. These are some funny expressions that can be used by your smart-alecky co-workers or friends who seem to be entertained by your current discomfort. I was thinking about this while working out this morning. It seems like every time I start my workout my muscles tighten up in my legs and it causes a great deal of discomfort. Then I have to will myself to keep going and work through the pain. Eventually they loosen up and I am able to finish my workout but it’s those first couple of minutes that really test my dedication to getting in to shape. So where am I going with this?

Well I feel the same thing happens when we try to grow (exercise) spiritually. You know how it goes. You buy all the latest Study Bibles, you get the Bible on cd/mp3, get the daily Bible podcast ect.ect..ect. Well at least that’s what I have been doing, but when it is time to use all of these great references we start feeling a little discomfort or we get side tracked. You set out with good intentions and even get a good start but as soon as you start feeling a little tired or unmotivated you stop. That’s when I suggest we “walk it off” and push through what ever it is that’s keeping from our devotional time. That’s what I am trying to tell myself. I need to walk through those moments and stick with the program. But first I need to get a program going. Last year I was able to read through the New Testament and a few Christian living books but I think this year I need a routine to help me maximize my time. So what kind of suggestions do you all have? What time do you set aside for your daily devotions? Morning, noon, evening?


Father God,

Please help me get more organized in my life so I can make living for your Son a priority in my life. Father bring to light the things in my life that waste my time and keep me from learning your inspired word. Father thank you for all the people you have put in my life that have been an inspiration and have helped lead me to your Son. It’s in Jesus name I pray Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,
Great post, I have the same issues. I get a good start and then as soon as life puts inconvenience in the way I get off course. I’ve been using my blog to force me to do a Bible study on a small piece of Scripture at least once a week, which is why I’ve been going through Job. I try to do some Random Bible and/or devotional reading before bed and go through my prayer list at that time. I’m not a morning person so there’s no chance of me doing anything before work but starting the day with the Lord is a great way to make sure you spend some quiet time everyday. I also like to listen to sermons on CD during my drive time; I easily can listen to one hour between my morning and evening drives. The problem there is that I’ve been getting mp3 downloads and I need to burn CDs for the road. OK I admit it I’m an excuse factory and I need to ‘just do it.’
God bless,
-jim

Louie Mercer said...

Chris,
There was a time when I too had a discipline problem in my time. I stopped getting the newspaper,..saved me 20 or so minutes a day. At night, when I got tired, I would turn on the TV, then the TV would stimulate me, and I could not sleep. TV and newspapers.....then my blog, my 2 email accounts.....it was tough to reconcile all my time...and we have one computer in the house with internet so that the kids can't just be on it and me not know when, where, ect.
This was an outstanding post and analogy of walking it off. Now, in the mornings, when I walk, (usually between 5a and 6a) I listen to a podcast instead of news, kill the newspaper and fight the remote when tired and pick up my bible or book. good luck brother.
Good analysis.
louie