Friday, November 7, 2008

The Family Snuggle


For the past couple of weeks I have been trying to make it a point to snuggle with Heidi every morning before we get up to start our day. I will usually get up about 20 minutes before we have to get ready for work and just snuggle and tell her I love her. But this morning I decided that we need to include our Son. So this morning we went into his room and woke him up, gave him a hug and told him we loved him. This was very special for all of us because our usual routine would be “Hey wake up, your late for School” then everyone would scramble to get ready for their day. This morning made me realize how far we have distanced ourselves over the years. I remember when Cj was little, we would snuggle and love on him all the time but as he got older and more mature, we slowed down and would just give him an occasional hug and pat on the back. We still tell him we love him everyday but our little boy has become a young independent man. We know he still loves us and needs us but it’s different now that he has matured and is becoming an adult. I am very proud of my children but have to ask myself “What happened to my little babies?” Their all grown up and have matured. I know that every parent struggles with phenomenon. I guess that’s why we look forward to becoming Grandparents.

I say all this because I wonder if God feels the same way about us. Does he feel like we have grown away from him, especially after becoming more spiritually mature? Are we like some teenagers who think they know everything and just come to him when we are in trouble? In Mathew 18:3-4 Jesus says “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven”. I know this goes against our human nature but what an ideal! Come to our Father like we were a child. That’s awesome! How do you guys feel about this? How can we snuggle up with our Father and have a family hug? Give this some though and let me know.

Chris,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely even the best of us is still a rebellious teenager at heart. We try to be faithful and maybe we succeed outwardly but there is always that internal battle. Thank the Lord, for he has given the Holy Spirit to dwell in us and give us strength.

“The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.”
1 Corinthians 10:13 (NLT)

21 It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, 22 and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything he has promised us.
2 Corinthians 1:21-22 (NLT)

Jennifer B said...

Well the children growing up so quickly I agree with that and it sometimes makes me sad but also excited to see how God works in their hearts. I love watching them mature into beautiful well rounded humans. How we love them I know is how God loves us unconditional love. Even if we stray and come back, he still loves us. Just like a child to their earthly parents our hearts are always open to them along with our open arms for a Hug. God our Father loves us.

Anonymous said...

I am feeling you here bro. It seems at our house so much of my relating to the kids is based on activities or routine. You have challenged me to find new ways to love on them just for the sake of love.

Thanks sir!

Peace.

Tony

Jennifer B said...

I need a new blog!
Love ya
Jenny