Friday, July 10, 2009

Don’t mess with the Bull you’ll get the horns!


One of my favorite quotes from the movie “ The Breakfast Club” besides “does Barry Manilow know you stole his wardrobe?” is “ don’t mess with the bull, you’ll get the horns”. Well that’s exactly what happened the other day in Spain during the annual running of Bulls festival. Here is some of the story from the AP

PAMPLONA, Spain - A charging bull gored a man to death Friday at Pamplona's San Fermin festival, the first such fatality in nearly 15 years. Nine others were injured in a particularly dangerous and chaotic chapter of the running of the bulls.

The San Fermin festival Web site said the unidentified man was gored in the neck and lung during a run in which a rogue bull separated from the pack, which is among the worst things that can happen at Spain's most popular fiesta.

My question is why do we even entertain doing stuff like this? I know I have done some crazy things in my past. But I always have to ask myself “what was I thinking?” I have to admit before this guy was gored to death I have always thought it would be cool to run with the bulls. Also have you ever noticed it’s always young to middle age white guys doing crazy stunts like this. Do women have these ideals and just not act on them? What is it about us that make us think things like this would be a cool ? Putting a lit bottle rocket in your butt is another example reckless behavior guys have engaged in. Is it the “Jack Ass Syndrome” ?

Hopefully I have grown out of this stage of my life but I have to worry about my son and his buddies and I pray they won’t try to act out some of these things they see on you-tube. What are some of the craziest stunts you have ever done? For me it would be running over a junked car with a tank, and driving 125 Mph on the Autobahn in Germany. What was I thinking?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know many folks that have had an opportunity to run over a car wth a tank. That's awesome.

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever done was when I shot the end of a shotgun shell with a BB gun from 10' away. But my little sister was standing only 3' away from it. It exploded and luckily no one was hurt. (Well, no one was hurt until I got "tore up" later by my dad. The hurt pretty bad. =)

Joseph said...

I posted something similiar. We think alike. This should either flatter you or scare you.

Chris Barnette said...

Yeah that was pretty cool, another time we were going on a training mission and had to drive through a small village and a van backed out in front of us. Took the whole back end off. Thank God no one was hurt. But I think we as "Boys" have a special gene that makes us do crazy stuff like that. But then again if we didn't we wouldn’t have airplanes, dynamite and other neat stuff.

J. I think we do think alike and share the same warped sense of humor

haithabu said...

When I was a kid, taking a wire and poking both ends into a receptacle....just to see what would happen.

Taking a winter motorcycle trip on bald tires -Ontario to Virginia, by way of the Appalachians.

Hitchhiking through Detroit - at night.

Anonymous said...

At least you were on the Autobahn. When I was in my twenties I bought a used police interceptor car, you know the one they use for speed traps. They park it in front of a regular patrol car with the lights flashing so when somebody sees it they think “They’ve already got somebody I don’t have to slow down…” and then this little Nissan takes off after them, fast! In other words, this car could get up and go. Well, one night a Ferrari passed me and I wasn’t gonna let that happen so we went weaving through traffic at 110+Mph in the rain. One mistake would have caused a major pile up – this was stupid. Surely God was watching over us that night.